Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Taking A Look: Under The Red Hood

Hey everyone, Jason Todd here with some big news in my opinion. But first, just letting you guys know I picked up a few comics today so expect a Review a Few tomorrow or Saturday, because I'll be busy Friday. For those wondering I picked up Blackest Night 7, Black Lantern Green Arrow, Teen Titans #80,  Flash Rebirth #6 FINALLY, and Gotham City Sirens #09. Really looking forward to the Blackest Night stuff and finishing Flash Rebirth, and Sirens and Titans should be cool.

Now back to the title of this article. As most of you know I'm a huge Jason Todd fan, hence the name. I've blogged about how I think he's been misused a lot, from when he was killed and then he was used pretty awesome after his return but once Bruce "died" he was made a C-List villain and someone no one has taken seriously. The fact that most casual fans don't even know who Jason Todd is, only knowing Dick Grayson and some knowing Timothy Drake, I've always felt like Jason doesn't get respect. Hell he's looked at as being the one time Batman couldn't get there in time to save someone he cares about since donning the cape and cowl. So Jason deserves respect. And he's finally going to get it.
In the release of JLA Crisis On Two Earths (In stores now), we are treated with a preview of the upcoming Batman: Under The Red Hood animated movie. It's based on Judd Winick's graphic novel and it will feature things about Jason's past including his beating by The Joker with a crowbar and being blown up. Apparently it will feature his return, as well as the Lazarus Pits as Ra's Al Ghul has been confirmed to appear as well. It even will feature the showdown between Batman and Jason with Joker in the middle right before Bludhaven was blown up by Chemo. Oh and did I mention it also features the Animated Debut of Black Mask? So without further adieu I present to you guys, a preview of Under The Red Hood.





For those that don't feel like watching the entire video, I believe around the two minute mark of the second video you can hear a little of the voice over work. I'm really looking forward to this, we have Bruce Greenwood as Batman. I don't know a lot about him but having heard some of his work Batman I will say that if we couldn't have Kevin Conroy who is the voice of Batman, then he's a damn good second. He gets my vote for a great job. Jensen Ackles (of CW's Supernatural and Jason Teague of Season 4 of Smallville)  as Jason Todd/Red Hood was a great choice. Having seen him play both joking roles and serious roles I know he can give Jason some well needed clarity with his voice. And with the always entertaining Neil Patrick Harris as Nightwing and John Dimaggio (Bender of Futurama) as The Joker I'm interested in seeing how he does as the Clown Prince of Crime. Also, Jason Issacs (Lucius Malfoy of the Harry Potter films) will play Ra's Al Ghul so that alone should be worth the price of admission.

All in all, it's still early to tell but I'm really looking forward to this animated movie. I'm hoping this is the first step to introducing Jason Todd to the non comic reading fans and also redeeming him in the eyes of many fans. Hopefully this is everything I hope so and I'll be reviewing it the second I get a chance to see it. I'm also interested to see what you guys think about it and also what other comic storyline's you guys think would make awesome animated movies. Until next time, you've been gobsmacked by The Red Hood. :P

- Jason Todd

21 comments:

  1. It does look good, and I do really like the original story it was based on. The voice acting sounds good, and the designs look solid. But I do wish there would be a few more original ones not based on prior comic series. Right now it must be about a 50/50 split?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah with Public Enemies, Crisis on Two Earths, and a few other things most are just comic book adaptations but I'm not complaining. I read their supposed to do one based on the Sinestro Corps. Wars

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a tad excessive. And anyway, you're getting your Jason Todd film, where's my Green Arrow film? >:(
    Sinestro Corps War would be cool though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this just made your day. I'm definitely excited on how they are going to be visually showing these tragedies in Jason's life along with his resurrection. I feel I need to re-read that whole arc of Jason's life as Robin and after his death.

    You got me super excited about this now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, in the article I read today I kid you not, Bruce Timm said he's interested in a Green Arrow movie.

    Falisha you're gonna LOVE IT! We're gonna have to give that a watch together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Link to the article please? I'm already getting out my bow and arrows out and ready

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make sure you got a good Quiver my brother, here ya go.

    http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/02/23/bruce-timm-talks-batman-under-the-red-hood-potential-green-arrow-animated-feature/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grumble grumble. Time to bring out my persuasion arrows then. They're sharp, pointy and hurt like hell :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lmao, I'd take a boxing glove arrow over one of those any day Nagash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I was already thinking about us watching it together. I promise not to distract you during a great jason todd movie. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol thats why we have pause buttons. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh please, if you get distracted, it just means you'll have ta watch it again ;)

    Sure, the boxing glove arrow is awesome, but it's not very helpful as a persuader. The antler arrow on the other hand

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol good point Nagash. Then if that's the case I won't even play the movie. ;)

    Hm...now the boxing glove is one thing, but the Antler arrow seems fatal. Then again the Persuader is what haunts my nightmares. :|

    ReplyDelete
  14. Or, I suppose that is one solution...

    So is a the buzzsaw arrow ;)
    The Persuader? Pish, he's nothing. Now, Doctor Light on a date with Giganta. Now that's scary...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol I don't even wanna think about how you came up with putting THOSE two together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't. Grant Morrisson (Final Crisis issue 1) did...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay wait...I barely remember Final Crisis for obvious reasons, but that happpened?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol. You guys are hilarious. pressing pause buttons and what not. He knows when a movie comes on...I'm focused on the movie. :D lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, it was Doctor Light talking to Mirror Master about getting some *ahem* "pharmaceutical requisites", and if you read it properly you know what he's talking about. But some people thought he wanted the date rape drug. Idiots...
    Final Crisis wasn't bad, was good up until the last issue, which was a damn mess.

    Isn't that the reason for pause buttons? No, wait, toilet breaks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you know it's a Warner Brothers rule that you have to wear a backwards hat when you do voice over work? Those contracts are so specific!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahh No WONDER!!! And Here I though Jensen Ackles was a trend setter. :P I always wondered why people do voice over work and some wear sun glasses. Why would you EVER need sunglasses or a cap for that matter in a recording studio?

    ReplyDelete